Q: How much weight can I expect to lose?

A: That depends on each individual. The first six months after surgery is known as the rapid weight loss phase. During the first three months after surgery you can expect an average weight loss of ten kilograms per month. Thereafter weight loss generally levels of for the next one to two years.

One tends to lose 80% of ones excess body weight in the first year, and the remaining 20% in the second year after surgery. A regain of up to 10% of your excess body weight is possible after 2-5 years.